Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Riding the bus

I have been talking to Hailey about riding the bus to school. I wasn't sure if she would go for it...but I wanted to try. It would be easier knowing that she would get to school on time every morning....that we could leave with Ryan either before or after her pick up, and that I wouldn't have to "waste" 1/2 hour on Tuesday and Thursdays between her drop off at school and Ryan's at preschool! Amazingly, she wanted to do it!!! So, I started to make calls. The bus drives right by our house, but the nearest stops are down our street, turn, and then down another block. I didn't feel comfortable making her walk down there by herself. I was happy to get a call back from the transportation director that the bus driver agreed to make a stop at our driveway! yahoo!

Hailey's first day on the bus was yesterday (Tuesday, Nov. 18). She was so scared. We talked about how it is okay to be scared, but the bus driver would make sure she was safe. There were tears in her eyes as the bus got closer to the house. I wasn't sure if she would get on or not. She is one strong little girl. She faced her fear and took the steps to get on the bus by herself. Way to go Hailey!! It was sad watching the bus go away...knowing that Hailey was on there and growing up way too fast! It just so happened that Ryan and I left about the same time and was it a coincidence that we were behind the bus?!?! No. I will admit...I followed the bus! I followed it to the first school (grades 1-6) and then to Hailey's school. Check Spelling I was so happy to see her come off the bus and walk into school. She did it! I did it. We BOTH did it with no tears. :)




When I asked her about it after school, she was of course so excited! She told me "I want to ride the bus again and again and again!" I was hoping for that reaction. She told me she met new friends on there and also saw friends from her after school program too. It worked out great!! We are so proud of you princess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAILEY, What a great big girl you are... It is fun for you and help for Mom that you take the bus to school. I rode the bus to school every day when I was young and so did your Mom and Auntie Becky. Have fun is school.

Love Grandma