Tuesday, January 27, 2009

MLK and the President

Last Monday was Martin Luther King Jr day. Last Tuesday, we got a new president. These are both very important days, but nothing I really expected the kids to know too much about. However, they surprised me!

On the Thursday before MLK day, I was talking to Hailey and Ryan in the car. I told Hailey she didn't have school on Monday and asked if she knew why. Of course she knew why! :) She told me all about MLK and what he did. I was so proud. My little girl got it! She told me "it doesn't matter what color your skin is." Wow...I was so proud of her. Then Ryan told me about it too. He said that "the people had poky things and were all together." I took that as the people were holding signs during MLK speech. Wow. Not too bad for a 4 year old! :)

Then on Tuesday night we were coming home and I thought I would see if they talked about the president at all. Sure enough they did! Hailey told me that they actually got to watch it on tv live, and knew a few things about President Obama (even the name which first came out "ROCK Obama"). Again, my heart was so full of pride and joy over my little girl learning this stuff! And, Ryan knew the presidents name too! He was so proud of himself.

I recorded the following videos a few days later. Nothing too exciting for them, but I wanted to get it on video :) Notice in Ryan's video...he starts dancing. There is this one little dance we do not know where he got it. BUT, every time I pick him up from daycare, he will see me, stop, and start patting the side of his tummy. What a strange little kid! :)


2 comments:

The Tree House said...

Good job Hailey and Ryan! OK Ryan, you are way too good of a dancer. I love your moves! LOL. Isn't it fun what your kid picks up. CJ was telling us who the president was too.

Anonymous said...

Do we have a dancer in the family???? You both did a good job on knowing your history about
"Rock" Obama .

Love Grandma